The Progressive Empowerment Party is founded on the need to vacate the politics of division and create a pathway to real and lasting national unity among all the diverse creeds and races that make up our multi-ethnic society. Our Party’s slogan is “One people under one flag”, and it is to this first overriding principle that we dedicate our efforts.
We believe in the rights of all citizens to the same justice and equality before all offices of State, regardless of race, creed, class or station in life. We stand against divisions built on bigotry or prejudice. We recognise the rights of the individual to peace, prosperity and safety, and to the inalienable rights of association, political assembly, love and worship. We believe the family to be the crucible of the development of strong, functional, conscious citizens. We commit to policies and programmes that uplift and develop the family and hold it inviolate as the heart of the community. We believe that strong communities make for strong nations as a nation is nothing if not a collection of communities.
Our progressive polices take the power of central government and gives it back to the people, vesting decision-making and budget allocations at the constituency level, levelling the play-field and creating hope and opportunity for all. We believe in the right to first world education and will ensure that all our schools can be considered prestigious institutions of learning. We believe that proper first world health care must be the right of all our citizens and our decentralised model of service will put proper health care within minutes and the reach of all our citizens.
Finally, we believe that a nation could never be peaceful if its people do not enjoy security of the person and respect for private property. We dedicate our actions to ending all that would prey on our people or use our nation for nefarious and unlawful activities, to the principles of swift and certain justice, and to law enforcement that protects and serves to the highest of standards.
We believe that government’s only job is to serve the people. We believe that Parliament and the representation of the people are sacrosanct and a high calling, but that the power must always reside with the people. It is to this we dedicate our first four items on our legislative agenda:
- The right of recall that would remove non-functional or errant officers of State from any level of public served;
- Referendum as law that would allow the greatest number to guide national decision-making;
- Campaign finance legislation that would limit the spending of party financiers to drown election campaigns in noise; and
- Procurement law that would protect the public purse through stringent observance of clear rules and transparency of process.
“One people under one flag” means that no one can be left behind. We have a vision of a nation where minimum wage earners can access finance to own a home and where even those with the least wealth could still raise a family and have a financial stake in their country. We commit to a policy of job creation and continuous learning opportunities for personal development that raises the national standard. ALL our polices are progressive in design and empowering in nature to take our people where their dreams direct, and are limited in scope only so far as is possible by human endeavour. We strive for a nation where our elders could retire in safety, care and comfort, and our children are allowed to grow, learn and play in an environment that cares for, respects and protects all.
To create a nation where none of our people can be left behind; where leadership is built on service; and where the dysfunctional organs, organisations and offices of state are undone and redone to the highest of principles and world standards in the service of all, in a free and just society dedicated to the highest of democratic principles.
OUR IDEOLOGY & PRINCIPLES
The core PEP Party principles embody those set out in the National Constitution:
- PEP advocates for the principles of good governance to put the power of government back in the hands of the people.
- PEP believes that government should be about service built on twin rails of empowerment — HOPE AND OPPORTUNITY.
- PEP will work together with all who share common goals and ideals, committed to creating One Nation Under One Flag.
- PEP believes in the democratic process, the Nation’s Constitution and the rights and freedoms of the Individual expressed therein.
- PEP believes that the National Constitution should be a living document, to be revised and updated to ensure its relevance to the prevailing cultural climate.
- PEP believes that changes to the National Constitution should be validated by the consensus of citizens.
The PEP recognises the sovereignty and entitlement of the people in keeping with the intent of the National Constitution, and believes that:
- Government is about delivering good governance and not about being in the business of business.
- Diversity and differences, including, but not exclusive to, religion, sexual orientation, ethnicity, colour, or race must be accepted without hindrance or limitation.
- A clear separation of state and religion is essential to the promotion of a tolerant civil society.
- No citizen should be unduly deprived of their human rights.
- Freedom of speech should not be abridged in any way whatsoever.
- The freedom of the press must be guaranteed and protected.
- Every citizen has the right to live in a healthy and sustaining environment free of pollutants.
- Every citizen has the right to be able to feed themselves and their family.
- It is the right of every citizen to have access to affordable housing.
- Every citizen has the right to live in peace and security.
- Social policies should ensure access for those who most need help.
- It is the right of every citizen to have easy, responsive and timely access to medical care and treatment.
- Every citizen must have the right to peaceably assemble.
- Every citizen must have the freedom to petition the government for redress of grievances.